Sunday, July 12, 2009

Kawasan Falls................Badiang

Trip to the province

Bobby Nalzaro

I ARRIVED in Cebu last Monday yet after covering the four-day working visit of President Arroyo in Tokyo, Japan. But a GMA 7 company memorandum requires all employees and talents arriving from abroad to go on at least five days self-quarantine.

I tried to stay home. But I tell you, it is boring to stay home for a couple of days doing nothing. I initially planned to go to my hometown in Dipolog City but I thought I wouldn’t enjoy seeing our old house and the things my beloved Nanay Doring left behind. I might end up being emotional once I recall the days when Nanay was still alive. She passed away almost a year ago.

So I packed up my things and drove around the province to be away from the maddening crowd. My first stop was Badian. I stayed in a rest house owned by a friend. Thursday morning, I walked for almost an hour to Kawasan Falls in Barangay Matutinao.

Kawasan has several big and minor falls. The famous one is the first falls where foreigners and local tourists congregate to enjoy the cool and refreshing water. Together with my guide, we climbed the second big falls.

I am not a stranger to climbing mountains as I used to do it when I was a kid. I grew up a remote barangay in Dipolog and playing in rice fields and climbing mountains was one of our past times.
But now that I am in my 40s, things are different. I have lost my energy and vigor. I rested several times while going up. The first and the second big falls are surrounded with cottages and restaurants.

Kawasan Falls is one of the province’s tourist destinations. But I don’t understand why Badian’s local government unit (LGU) or the Province cannot develop the road leading to the falls from the highway so that light and small vehicles can go near.

Vehicles are only allowed up to an area that is still far from the falls, after that visitors have to walk for about half an hour.

Light passenger vehicles like multicabs or habal-habal should be allowed to operate in the area. But bridges that can accommodate four-wheel vehicles should be constructed. What we have there now are only foot bridges. The LGU of Badian should negotiate with the lot owners to allow access.

I learned from my guide that tourists are complaining that some tour guides and their cohorts rob visitors of their valuables. Tour guides (locally known as haulers) are also charging exorbitant fees, especially from foreigners. But robbery incidents have been reduced after local officials met with and warned tour guides about this.

I also observed that the roads from Barili going to Dumanjug, Ronda, Alcantara, Moalboal and Badian are not well-maintained compared with those in the southern side. Repairs using asphalt were not done well. I also noticed that there is still a wooden bridge somewhere between Santander and Samboan.

I thought the entire province has been energized. But residents of a sitio in Barangay Malbago, Badian are complaining because until now they don't have electricity. Every election, politicians who campaign in their place always promise to work to provide them with electricity. But until now, nothing has been done. Mind you, the village is just several meters away from the highway. I don't know if Gov. Gwen Garcia can help the residents there.

Before returning to the city, I dropped by the miraculous Marian Shrine in Lindogon, Simala in Sibonga town.

No comments:

Post a Comment